• Living & Working in Hong Kong
Living & Working in Hong Kong

Visa Taxation Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF)
Accommodation Language support for non-Chinese speakers Children Education
Domestic Helpers Transportation Banking and HK Currency

Hong Kong is a modern and vibrant city, and home to over seven million people of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Strategically located in the Asia-Pacific region, Hong Kong functions as an international gateway for business, people and goods, as well as an important window into the Chinese Mainland.  Being “Asia’s World City”, Hong Kong is reputed for the society’s openness and plurality, the citizens’ adaptability and resilience, its Government’s high degree of autonomy, its judiciary’s independence, its foundations in rule of law and freedom of speech, as well as its burgeoning economy characterized by free trade, low taxation, minimal political interference, stable financial structure, and so on.  

As a leading international commercial center and financial hub, Hong Kong is never short on career opportunities for everyone who comes and cares to look around, whether in the academe, multinational corporations, or other business sectors.  Both English and Chinese are the official languages.  English is widely used in the Government, higher education institutions, as well as the legal, professional and business sectors.  Academic freedom and institutional autonomy is explicitly protected by the Basic Law.  Foreigners will find it an easy place to settle into, blessed with appreciable freedom on extensive fronts from academic research, literary and artistic creation to other pursuits.

Under the Immigration Ordinance, if one does not hold a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card or a(n) travel/identity document showing that one is lawfully employable in Hong Kong, he/she will need to apply for and obtain permission for staying and holding employment prior to arrival in Hong Kong.  The University will assist new appointees in applying for such permission for working at the University.
Spouse and/or dependent children (unmarried and aged below 18) of an appointee will apply for dependent visa(s) if they will accompany the appointee to reside in Hong Kong. Holders of a dependent visa are normally permitted to work and study in Hong Kong.  The appointee will be the sponsor of their visa applications. Detailed information is available at the website of the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government. photo
Hong Kong follows a simple, low-rate tax system. Income derived from employment in Hong Kong are subject to salaries tax at progressive rates up to the current maximum flat rate of 15%. The tax year runs from 1 April to 31 March of the following year. Further information can be found at the website of the Inland Revenue Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government. Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF)
Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) is an employment-based retirement protection system in Hong Kong. An eligible appointee who is aged between 18 and 65 will enroll in the Mandatory Provident Fund Scheme arranged by the University (hereinafter ‘the MPF Scheme’), unless he/she is an exempt person under the relevant law.

Both the employee and the employer are required to make periodic mandatory contributions (calculated at 5% of the employee’s relevant income, capped at HK$1,500 per month to an MPF scheme). The appointee’s mandatory contributions will be directly drawn from his/her payroll and paid to the MPF Scheme trustee at scheduled intervals.
photo On-campus Accommodation
Eligible appointees may apply for on-campus accommodation ranging from studio flats to family-style suites.

Off-campus Housing

There are wide-ranging choices of rented accommodation (in various sizes and conditions) within convenient commuting distance from the University campus. One may rent accommodation in Hong Kong through licensed estate agents or by his/her own search efforts. It is advisable to consider carefully the lease period, amounts of rent and deposit, and whether furniture and electrical appliances are provided before signing a tenancy agreement. Some general information is available at GovHK.

Language support for non-Chinese speakers
Putonghua (Mandarin), Cantonese and Chinese Reading courses for non-Chinese speakers are available at a discounted rate for CUHK staff and their dependent family members. Further information is available at http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/clc/e_ssp.htm

Children's Education
Education for non-Chinese-speaking children is mainly provided through around 50 international schools operated with reference to different education systems: American, Australian, Canadian, French, German-Swiss, Japanese, Korean, Singaporean, etc. General information on kindergarten, primary and secondary education in Hong Kong is available at the website of the Education Bureau of the Hong Kong SAR Government.

Domestic Helpers
In Hong Kong, it is rather common to enlist the services of a foreign live-in domestic helper or part-time local domestic helpers to help with housework such as cooking and cleaning. General information is available at GovHK.
Hong Kong has a well-developed public transport network comprising the Mass Transit Railway (MTR), extensive bus routes, minibuses, trams and ferries. The University is right at a major station (the University Station) of MTR. Details can be checked at GovHK.


Banking and HK Currency
Hong Kong is an international banking and financial center with a well-established banking system that provides comprehensive and convenient banking services. Legal tender is the Hong Kong dollar (HK$), which is pegged to the US Dollar at a rate of US$1=HK$7.8 with slight upward and downward movements.